Knitting is a great way to relax, swapping our mobile phone for a pair of knitting needles is a good way to slow down and step away from the busyness of our lives. Knitting is creative and we have a sense of accomplishment as we finish another row. It helps us to de-stress and to unwind.
My top ten tips for knitting beginners are:
- Keep it simple, all you need is some yarn and needles to get started.
- There are lots of great websites with patterns and instructions for knitting beginners, you don’t need to buy a book.
- Choose a light colored yarn so that you can see your stitches easier.
- Select a medium worsted weight yarn such as Lions’ Brand Yarn Vanna’s Choice.
- Bamboo or wood needles are best for beginners because the stitches won’t slide off the needles too easily.
- There are different types of needles but I recommend that you begin with traditional straight needles.
- Start with a medium sized needle, such as sizes 6, 7 or 8. Generally size 8, ten inch long needles are recommended for beginners.
- Choose a simple pattern to start with for example a scarf, focus on learning the basics.
- Keep all your knitting supplies in a knitting bag, this way you can easily pick up where you left off, also you can bring your knitting bag with you as you travel.
- Take your time, remember that your goal is relaxation and time away from your mobile phone!